Tendon Transfer & Repair Surgery - An Overview
Harsha Hospitals are available with a knack for performing surgeries for skeleton-muscular surgery like tendon transfer and repair, where a healthy tendon is replaced from its original position to a damaged one. It helps to restore the normal movement of a targeted site where the damaged tendon resides. Harsha Hospitals is promised to deliver the best results at the Best Orthopedic Hospitals in Bowenpally
Surgery is done at a site of the tendon that attaches the bunch of the muscles to a specific point on the bones or the targeted site, where in the insertion of the tendon in the normal and natural site isMoved or replaced with the proper functioning ones. This allows:
- The muscle power is to be relocated and repositioned but not recreated.
- To provide a backup to the lost muscle functions due to specific conditions
- To correct the muscle tone imbalance which happened due to prolonged and severe muscle spasms.
A tendon transfer surgery is recommended under specific conditions such as:
- Nerve injuries
- Muscle injuries/muscle tear
- Flat feet
- Foot drop
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Disabilities by birth:
- Brachial plexopathy
Before appearing for tendon transfer surgery, few things for which the patient needs to be prepared:
- A day before the surgery does not eat anything, meaning after midnight.
- Pause taking any blood-thinning medications after certifyingthem from the doctor.
Tendon transfer surgery ongoing experience:
- The tendon insertion site into the bone is cut off and resewed into the other bone or tendon of the non-functioning ones by the surgeon.
- As per the surgeon, if the general anaesthesia is administered, it makes the patient completely asleep or half-asleep.
- In multiple tendon transfers, each tendon is personally looked into and attached and then the skin is stitched and rendered.
- In rare circumstances, a canal is drilled to allow the tendon to pass through or knot itself up.
Recovery time for tendon transfer surgery:
Recovery is of the delicate and the most important value at the Best Orthopedic Hospitals in Bowenpally:
- 1-2 months of recovery time is of paramount value.
- In the meantime, a splint or a brace is put on to the surgical site to allow complete protection to heal and prevail.
- Physiotherapy and a comprehensive rehabilitation program are a must that ranges based on the severity of the case.
- Physiotherapy and rehabilitation programs go hand in hand and stretch from a span of a week to the extent of above 6 months for complete functional attainment.
Side effects/risk factors after a tendon transfer surgery:
- Profuse bleeding
- Recurrent tendon rupture
- Rigidity and lethargic effect on the muscle it is transferred on.
- Infection to the adjacent tendons or blood vessels.
Tendon transfer surgery is majorly a hand surgery, but at the Best Orthopedic Hospitals in Kompally also sometimes it is performed on the ankles & shoulders.
At the Best Orthopedic Hospitals in Bowenpally ,the success rates after the rehabilitation program are humongous and positive!
Other best alternatives to tendon transfer surgery are:
- Nerve repair
- Tendon repair
- Tendon grafts
- Tendon lengthening or bone fusion specially performed for hand reconstruction.
Physiotherapy and rehabilitation program before and after the surgery:
It is anot-so-comprehensive regime but enacting certain modalities is repetitive at the best BestOrthopedic Hospitals in Bowenpally!
- Gentle range of movement and Kinesio exercises at the affected joint and/or muscle and its surroundings.
- Soft tissue techniques such as frictional massage, and deeper massage after the surgery, to avoid muscle tightening.
- Constant movements of the affected joint, to regulate the flow and warmth.
- Cardiovascular activityregulates the functions of the body normally including the affected joints such as cycling, rowing, or treadmill running.
- Cryotherapy (ice) is done to reduce swelling.
- Electrotherapy throughout the regime such as ultrasound facilitates tendon healing.
- Introduction of the job/hobby-related activities for muscle memory and modality advancements.
- For Joint awareness performing proprioception exercise, Gait re-education &Range of movement activities.
Each muscle has a starting point (origin) and tapers down into a tendon, which then attaches to the bone (insertion) in a specific location. When a muscle fires (contracts), it produces a specific movement (action). And every specialist at Harsha Hospitals carries out surgeries with safe and sound protocols at one of the Best Orthopedic Hospitals in Kompally.
For more details, you can consult our experts bycontacting usat +91- 9949073049 and reach us at: https://harshahospital.in/